Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Cake Case Revisited
The Cake Case Revisited
Quote:Sometimes a wedding cake is just delicious. And sometimes it is a First Amendment football.

In its new term, which began Monday (Oct. 2), the Supreme Court, will hear Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, a.k.a. “the cake case.” It stems from 2012, when two gay men visited a Lakewood, Colo., bakery in search of a wedding cake. The owner-baker, who is Christian, turned them away. The case has been in court ever since.

What argument will each side make? Will this be another landmark decision? And when is a cake not just a decadent dessert but an expression of deeply held religious beliefs?

http://religionnews.com/2017/10/03/the-s...eme-court/
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: The Cake Case Revisited
People at my work refer to female jiggly bits as "cake", came here expecting that kind of cake.

Personally I think that if it's your business you should be able to do what you'd like with it, barring outright discrimination of course. I'm interested to see what happens.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
I support the right of a black cake maker to refuse to bake a wedding cake for a skinhead couple that want a "pure" white cake with inscription: "White Wedding"!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

I agree with Bob. I think we can all say that if we owned a cake bakery and someone walked in wanting a cake that said "White Power" with a swastika on it for a white supremacist Nazi gathering, we should be allowed to refuse to make it. Same goes for if someone wants to refuse to make a cake that says "Happy Wedding Day Ralph and Steve". A company owner should always be allowed to turn down a particular task (not people) if it goes against their moral, political, or religious convictions.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
I thought this was another thread about cutting a cake so everyone gets a piece that is equally iced . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

. .  . and Losty not making enough for every one

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

You mean, this case is still being decided FIVE FUCKING YEARS after it originally made the news?

And seriously, I'm torn about the constitutionality of such a scenario; on the one hand, CL seems to have a point, but really, it seems like, in this political climate, it's just creating more battlegrounds in these culture wars that we do not need.

Remember Lester Maddox? He became infamous for refusing to serve black people, even chasing them away with axes. The restaurant wAs closed down, but two years later, he ran for governor of Georgia, based largely on his experiences chasing black people from his restaurant. He won the damn election.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Which might mean it's probably a good time to get out of 'Murica before it's too late.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
In an ideal political climate, bigoted bakers should be allowed to do whatever they want and let their businesses fail because the invisible hand of the public rejects their bigoted bullshit.

Alas, we don't live in that ideal political climate. That invisible hand does not exist and all that results is we end up further Balkanized than we already are.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(October 3, 2017 at 6:26 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I agree with Bob. I think we can all say that if we owned a cake bakery and someone walked in wanting a cake that said "White Power" with a swastika on it for a white supremacist Nazi gathering, we should be allowed to refuse to make it. Same goes for if someone wants to refuse to make a cake that says "Happy Wedding Day Ralph and Steve". A company owner should always be allowed to turn down a particular task (not people) if it goes against their moral, political, or religious convictions.

And if a black couple walked in and your precious holy bakery owner said "get out niggers," would you be okay with that too?

The state of Colorado has enacted anti-discrimination laws.  Your hero baker wants to use his primitive religion to defeat those laws.  I'd love to see the court smack him right in his fucking mouth.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trevon Revisited again, unfortunately... Brian37 302 23702 June 6, 2020 at 2:08 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Bounty Hunters found not guilty in case of gunning down innocent black man Cecelia 21 1473 August 3, 2019 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Former judge files new motions pushing for special prosecutor in Jussie Smollett case EgoDeath 15 1505 July 1, 2019 at 12:21 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Trump responds to special counsel Robert Mueller’s statement: ‘The case is closed WinterHold 21 2067 June 7, 2019 at 2:28 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Lastest development in Smollett case EgoDeath 76 6563 March 12, 2019 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  From the cake to the school Foxaèr 5 900 June 17, 2018 at 12:00 am
Last Post: Cecelia
  No Big Piece Of Chocolate Cake This Time Minimalist 1 540 August 2, 2017 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  In Case Anyone Thinks Trumptards Have A Shred of Decency Minimalist 17 2886 July 31, 2017 at 3:08 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The Strange Case Of Canuck The Crow Amarok 0 1012 June 27, 2017 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Bill Cosby Case: mistrial Foxaèr 27 8747 June 24, 2017 at 8:53 pm
Last Post: Seraphina