Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anything But An Atheist. How come?
Anything But An Atheist. How come?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m1NfhZ8U...re=related

Why is the US so screwed up? Why do Christians do exactly the opposite of what Jesus supposedly wanted them to do? (HATE)

I just don't get it! Why do people of such great and unwavering faith find atheists to be such a threat? That must be what's going on, because a thumb-through in a psychology 101 book will explain that this is how people react when they feel threatened, because people are always threatened of what they don't understand.

Why is it acceptable to be ignorant in this society?

Name one reason to distrust an atheist that can't be applied to anyone of any belief or lack thereof. Please. Name just one! Prepare to be fired upon heavily with bombs of logic from the hypocrisy police.

Wink

Question for atheists:

Are we surprised that xtians don't understand atheism when it's evident that so many of them haven't even taken the time to read and understand their own shitty book of "morals"?

Angel Cloud

RE: Anything But An Atheist. How come?
(November 16, 2011 at 8:53 pm)aleialoura Wrote: Why do people of such great and unwavering faith find atheists to be such a threat?

This should explain some of their reasons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j8ZMMuu7...re=related
I've said this before and I'll say it again, I love DarkMatter2525
Don’t ask.

Atheist
I Evolved!
Quote:I just don't get it! Why do people of such great and unwavering faith find atheists to be such a threat?

Because we reject their fairy tales. That makes them nervous.
Insecurity, all the way. Faith fears abhors the search for knowledge.
Trying to update my sig ...
I think most people find the most important being in life is God and knowledge of him is a foundation of our existence. Most people also feel they just know God exists but don't know how. When you have people not believing in God, to many believers, it feels like they are committing a huge crime. They feel a core aspect of being a good human is to believe in God, or even know he exists. Although people of different religions see each other in wrong, and Christians condemn people of other faiths, the foundation of their faith, is belief in God, and they feel at least other people of other faiths have accepted that. They tend to feel more hostile towards them, because, they are disregarding the core of their spirituality. Without God, what is the spirituality of a human?

Of course intolerance is not justified, but it comes from these sort of feelings I suspect.

DarkMatter2525 did a fairly good job at explaining some of the reason why Atheists are so hated. I would also like to suggest that, particularly in America, Atheism is somehow associated with loosing the right to practice whatever religion you wish. It is somehow associated with loosing freedom of religion. Obviously if you look at the big picture Christians and Mormons (and I suppose Muslims if they were in a large enough majority) are the ones who try to destroy freedom of religion (except theirs) any time they get. This is not rational but we aren't dealing with rational people. We are dealing with a group of people who think that Atheists have crossed the line when they won the battle to teach evolution in classrooms and ignore intelligent design or when they booted out mandatory school prayer. Christians are the victims and the evil Atheists are winning. For whatever reason people have an odd sense of separation of church and state here in the U.S.

It also keys into their millennialistic paranoia. Even in the very moderate churches there is a belief that when the world enters the "end times" religion will be outlawed.

I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

Hating, which you are exactly right Alei: it's what people do, is never justified. These people are complete hypocrites by their own standards.
(November 16, 2011 at 8:53 pm)aleialoura Wrote: Why is the US so screwed up?
I don't think there is any place that's not screwed up. I don't think we're very close to eutopian society yet.
(November 16, 2011 at 8:53 pm)aleialoura Wrote: Why do Christians do exactly the opposite of what Jesus supposedly wanted them to do?
That's a question I ask all the time too, usually there's some stuttering or stammering in the answer.
(November 16, 2011 at 8:53 pm)aleialoura Wrote: Why do people of such great and unwavering faith find atheists to be such a threat?
Perhaps their faith isn't as unwavering as they pretend it is? I have no problem with atheists.
(November 16, 2011 at 8:53 pm)aleialoura Wrote: Why is it acceptable to be ignorant in this society?
Because the majority are ignorant, regardless of their theological views
(November 16, 2011 at 8:53 pm)aleialoura Wrote: Name one reason to distrust an atheist that can't be applied to anyone of any belief or lack thereof. Please. Name just one!
There isn't one, because ignorance is not a requirement for any particular worldview or theological belief.
(November 16, 2011 at 8:53 pm)aleialoura Wrote: Question for atheists:
Are we surprised that xtians don't understand atheism when it's evident that so many of them haven't even taken the time to read and understand their own shitty book of "morals"?
Not addressed to me so I'll save my comments

(November 16, 2011 at 11:08 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Because we reject their fairy tales. That makes them nervous.
The only think that unsettles me, aside from your hatred, is your boner avatat Big Grin
(November 17, 2011 at 12:08 am)Epimethean Wrote: Insecurity, all the way. Faith fears abhors the search for knowledge.
Because by default to be religious requires insecurity? I'm glad I don't have time to make huge unsupported generalizations. As far as fear abhors the search for knowledge, that's just outright incorrect. The Quran speaks about not questioning God, often enough. I've yet to find a verse in the Bible where God doesn't ask us to test and question what we believe. Although there are many verse supporting introspection. "He who trusteth in his own heart is a fool; but whosoever walketh wisely, he shall be delivered" Prov. 28:26 is just the first that came to mind of many.

(November 17, 2011 at 1:08 am)MysticKnight Wrote: I think most people find the most important being in life is God and knowledge of him is a foundation of our existence. Most people also feel they just know God exists but don't know how. When you have people not believing in God, to many believers, it feels like they are committing a huge crime. They feel a core aspect of being a good human is to believe in God, or even know he exists. Although people of different religions see each other in wrong, and Christians condemn people of other faiths, the foundation of their faith, is belief in God, and they feel at least other people of other faiths have accepted that. They tend to feel more hostile towards them, because, they are disregarding the core of their spirituality. Without God, what is the spirituality of a human?

Of course intolerance is not justified, but it comes from these sort of feelings I suspect.
I think it's less that you're commiting a crime and more that their concerned about the consequences for you if you're wrong (not the consequences for them if you're right). I'm apparently from a much more docile and accepting Christianity than most atheists here have had experiences with though. Rayaan and DP and I sure do get along pretty well adn I've never condemned their faith. I would assume logically that if they were to feel hostility for disregarding the core of their spirituality, then it would be more aptly pointed to those that have 0 belief rather than those that show just a misdirected one.

"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
I'm never moving over to the US. Too intolerant. I'd get into punch ups with bible bashers. Such a shame to see that kind of hatred over there. Here if you came out, no one would care. Because their either atheist themselves or apatheist.

Without a doubt, atheists are the most tolerant and peaceful, and the only ones bullying, threatening and attacking anyone are the religious. Just look at religious societies compared to secular ones. Big difference.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
We in Oz laugh at the American assertion "Land of the free!" it is anything but ... I feel so sorry for those who think in America...they are so isolated Sad
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does your atheism come as a package? FrustratedFool 75 5185 October 7, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 2982 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations Tomatoshadow2 25 1811 April 11, 2023 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Bullshit "I'm an atheist but atheism is evil" article in the Grauniad boils my blood GUBU 13 1970 March 30, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Response to Darkmatter2525 ""Why Does Anything Matter?" Eik0932 23 2838 September 26, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Is anything sacred? (Extra credit for specifying what it is for you.) Whateverist 55 6968 November 17, 2017 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  How come there arent many atheists such as Bill Maher Roeki 30 8781 July 6, 2017 at 3:10 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  God can come 2nd to my son..... maestroanth 6 1379 January 1, 2017 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Ugh, how come I, an atheist, have the ability to ACT more "Christian" than...... maestroanth 7 1781 April 9, 2016 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  do you worry about if anything bad would happen if christianity died? Rextos 26 5026 February 13, 2016 at 3:05 am
Last Post: Ivan Denisovich