Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 7:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists come up with ideal god
RE: Atheists come up with ideal god
(October 8, 2015 at 11:55 pm)TRJF Wrote: Would worship:
[Image: Emma-Watson.jpg]
I say we take a vote and promote her to the position.

I would like to note that I am hours ahead of you on that one. Wink
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(October 9, 2015 at 12:00 am)sinnerdaniel94 Wrote:
(October 8, 2015 at 11:50 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: Are you just asking random questions, or do you really not grasp why people have evolved as a cooperative, social species?

I am having a really, really hard time believing you seriously think those are valid questions. It simply does not follow that if we are not a theocratic state working from divine fiat, we cannot make moral judgments.

Societies make "just our opinion" decisions all the time. We enforce collective rules of behavior that seek to prevent harm to one another and allow for maximal individual freedom with protected individual rights and privileges. It is  all opinion, which is why we can lobby and attempt to convince our fellow members of society that a new idea is better than an old one. The Civil Rights Movement was exactly such a case. Yes, it was "just their opinion", but they managed to convince members of the majority that it was a good opinion, and one that should be shared generally by that society. A century ago, you could stand in the door of the governor's mansion in most states and declare that you're a white supremacist; now, I challenge you to find one willing to agree publicly that they believe one race is inferior to another. Society not only changed, it enacted protections that stopped people who didn't agree from harming those that most of us had realized deserved such basic dignity and social protection.

But it's still just our opinion. So what? Are you just trying to shame me because I'm not so arrogant as to claim I have The One Right Way To Live™ in a handy Believer's Guide in my pocket? Is it really so hard to grasp that there are often no "right" solutions, only effective compromises and/or "steps in the right direction", in the real world?

You're speaking in absolutes. Only a Sith deals in absolutes.
My questions are genuine. It seems like you're saying we should make these laws just like how I'm saying believe the bible. your statements have an absolute tone to them. how can you tell people what to do? you're just as "bad" as what God is commanding then.

I don't think you read what I wrote. So I bolded it for you.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(October 9, 2015 at 12:14 am)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote:
(October 8, 2015 at 11:55 pm)TRJF Wrote: Would worship:
[Image: Emma-Watson.jpg]
I say we take a vote and promote her to the position.

I would like to note that I am hours ahead of you on that one. Wink

Ah, but see, we differ in our views: I *do* take Emma as an ultimate authority :-D

Also, I would break commandments 1, 2, 3, 6, 7 and 10 for her, as well as that one about boiling a kid in its mother's milk. I mean... if she's into that sort of thing.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Me. Obviously.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
[Image: 7799n.jpg]

Done
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

(October 9, 2015 at 12:42 am)Nay_Sayer Wrote: [Image: 7799n.jpg]

Done

/thread

May Ceiling Cat haz mercy on you and do not want to eated you.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Quote:there are multiple verses saying not to kill. you're questioning why God commanded the Israelites to slay the Canaanites, and the answer is that God said the sins of the Canaanites reached such a level that they deserved to die. Just like how we execute murders in our society, God exercised His justice.

Yes, the Bible says not to kill, although what it actually means is 'Adult male Israelites should not kill other adult male Israelites, everyone else is fair game.' But I digress.

If God is powerful enough to create to create the entire Universe through an act of will, why did he need the Israelites to kill the Canaanites? God could have simply blinked them out of existence, thus removing the need for one band of nomadic semi-savages to slaughter another. On a related note, could you list the sins committed by the Canaanite and Amalekite infants that the Israelis butchered?

Maybe your society executes murderers. Mine doesn't. Apparently, we're on a higher moral ground than Jehovah.

Shall I tell you why God ordered the Israelites to slay the Canaanites? It's quite simple, really: The Canaanites had land that the Israelis wanted. The Israelites were going to get the land. The most direct way of accomplishing this was war (it typically is). The wholesale butchery had to be explained some how or other, so the Israelites came up with, 'God told us to do this. Yeah, that's it. The Canaanites were going all sinny, so we stopped the sin with genocide, which is clearly not a sin if God says it's ok.'

It never fails to astonish me how theists can't grasp the moral conundra like this that fill the Bible.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(October 9, 2015 at 12:35 am)TRJF Wrote:
(October 9, 2015 at 12:14 am)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: I would like to note that I am hours ahead of you on that one. Wink

Ah, but see, we differ in our views: I *do* take Emma as an ultimate authority :-D

Also, I would break commandments 1, 2, 3, 6, 7 and 10 for her, as well as that one about boiling a kid in its mother's milk. I mean... if she's into that sort of thing.

Did you mean "ultimate authority" or you just want to poke her a bit?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Firstly...
[Image: Rzih2i3.jpg]

Secondly - there ain't no god that ain't pre-idealized. How many Jesus freaks are running around worshiping a swarthy Semite?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does your atheism come as a package? FrustratedFool 75 7261 October 7, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 4359 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations Tomatoshadow2 25 2464 April 11, 2023 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2359 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  How come there arent many atheists such as Bill Maher Roeki 30 9185 July 6, 2017 at 3:10 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  God can come 2nd to my son..... maestroanth 6 1494 January 1, 2017 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Ugh, how come I, an atheist, have the ability to ACT more "Christian" than...... maestroanth 7 1926 April 9, 2016 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why did you come to this board? Kingpin 131 22817 August 18, 2015 at 8:38 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Why do never-theists come to atheist forums? watchamadoodle 26 7309 January 8, 2015 at 9:03 am
Last Post: watchamadoodle
  The Perfect Ideal World Created By Science Mozart Link 0 914 June 3, 2014 at 2:41 pm
Last Post: Mozart Link