Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 3:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm Sure He Had A Good Reason.
RE: I'm Sure He Had A Good Reason.
(November 6, 2017 at 9:24 pm)Khemikal Wrote: You know, you don't have to get into bed with an eel to get fiscal responsibility and small government in the US.  I know it probably seems like that because the eels just keep wining, but it isn;t on account of them delivering small government or fiscal responsibility.

That's an interesting comment. Practically, how would you propose getting fiscal responsibility and small government in the US?

Quote:This...though...
Quote:non-corrupt politicians who actually share your views  are pretty much a fantasy.
Nah, it's just that they don't win.  I cast my vote when I find them, and I may as well burn the ballot for all the good it does, lol.

Well, I actually have one spectacularly flukey success story here, which was the first election I was old enough to vote in. I voted for the freaking Green party - a throwaway vote- and through something of a statistical fluke we won a balance of power! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Co...tion,_2017
It doesn't get much better than that in my books Smile
(November 7, 2017 at 12:30 am)shadow Wrote: That's an interesting comment. Practically, how would you propose getting fiscal responsibility and small government in the US?
Its pretty easy....the left and the right have ambulated to the right.

Quote:Well, I actually have one spectacularly flukey success story here, which was the first election I was old enough to vote in. I voted for the freaking Green party - a throwaway vote- and through something of a statistical fluke we won a balance of power! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Co...tion,_2017
It doesn't get much better than that in my books Smile

Doesn't work that way here.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 7, 2017 at 12:45 am)Khemikal Wrote:
(November 7, 2017 at 12:30 am)shadow Wrote: That's an interesting comment. Practically, how would you propose getting fiscal responsibility and small government in the US?
Its pretty easy....the left and the right have ambulated to the right.

Okay... but how do you go about fixing that?
Who says it can be fixed?
(November 7, 2017 at 1:09 am)Minimalist Wrote: Who says it can be fixed?

Either you fix it or you accept a screwed up democracy is inevitable and work within it. I'm for either, but the latter seems more feasible. That's sort of what I'm getting at here.
(November 6, 2017 at 7:40 pm)shadow Wrote:
(November 6, 2017 at 6:29 pm)Wololo Wrote: Why, he couldn't run a lemon juice stall if you gave him the ownership of all the lemons in the world and a $1tn seed capital, he's that dumb.

What was his plan for being president, getting rid of government and letting the rich lord over the rest of us as their slaves? Yeah like that'd work, for about five minutes.

What specifically do you think would the problem with eliminating government? What comes to mind for me, in broad terms, is

I don't have to think, I simply have to look at history and the many libertarian foms of goverment found there. The Roman republic and empire were both libertarian and many people died because of shoddy building practises a lack of safety standards at work and poor quality of food preparation, many magnitudes greater in Rome alone than the empire killed in war. Britain before 1850 was the same way, only abandoning libertarianism when the threat of revolution became too immediate to ignore.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
There are only two ways to fix it.  Either we need a much smarter electorate or we need to get the money out of politics.

Both of those goals seem unobtainable at the moment.
If the amount of "free speech" that moneyed interests dump into politics were taken and dumped into our schools...we'd have both birds dead with one stone.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
But that doesn't serve their interests.  As George Carlin pointed out years ago.

(November 7, 2017 at 11:28 am)Minimalist Wrote: There are only two ways to fix it.  Either we need a much smarter electorate or we need to get the money out of politics.

Both of those goals seem unobtainable at the moment.

I think the problem with a 'smarter electorate' is that even if we were all very intelligent, rational, and well educated, our society is still highly specialized. Meaning I could be the best neurologist of my time, but does that mean I know enough about foreign policy or astrophysics to make an informed assessment of a potential leader's platform in those fields? Probably not. The electorate is never going to be specialized enough in fields other than their own to be able to make the best decisions for them, and the more knowledge we get and the more specialized we become, the more our common politics will diverge from utilizing all available knowledge in decision making. It becomes a game of opinions and guesswork for about 95% of the issues facing a country.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think people who hate Queen Elizabeth 2 is same reason MAGA people hated Obama Woah0 13 1398 December 20, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Donald Trump is the best American president that USA has ever had Edge92 21 1941 June 4, 2021 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Biden had to walk back a tax increase jasonelijah 6 914 March 31, 2021 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Was it a modern day lynching? Not sure it fits the category jasonelijah 29 1468 March 30, 2021 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Are you sure you want to do that? onlinebiker 40 2464 January 12, 2021 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why is it so hard to reason with pro-lifers? Dingo 32 2439 October 12, 2020 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: Dingo
  Trump's Wall (A momentary lapse of reason) sammiedee 23 1769 June 26, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  War is nonsense and manipulation and there is no reason to fight? Interaktive 47 3655 March 31, 2019 at 9:41 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Saudi Arabia had been sold :) WinterHold 4 1279 January 25, 2019 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Stop trying to reason with Trump supporters GODZILLA 21 2575 January 20, 2019 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: GUBU