Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 14, 2024, 8:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There are no answers in Genesis
RE: There are no answers in Genesis
(December 1, 2022 at 10:56 am)Ranjr Wrote:
(December 1, 2022 at 10:35 am)Angrboda Wrote: I don't know the answer to this question, so I'll just throw it out there for anyone to answer.  Can a case be made from pre-first-century Talmud that the old testament should be interpreted along lines similar to Neo's, that it is more allusion and metaphor, a spiritual message consisting primarily of pseudo-historical accounts that function as allegory first, and as history second?

I can't answer because I don't know what pre-first-century Jew to read.  But it bears noting that we have a major contributor from the 1st whom I believe to be an influence on Christianity in Philo of Alexandria.  He wrote volumes on allegorical interpretation of Genesis.  It's very interesting and preciously naive.  I'm a huge fan.  From Philo, you get the impression that the first step toward finding "a son of God," which is how he described the Logos, is to stop thinking of Genesis as mere history.

Philo of Alexandria

Well, this is the problem I have with Neo. It's fine to approach the bible as containing much more than history, but it's incoherent to approach it as making no historical claims whatsoever. The answer, as always, lies somewhere in the middle. Unfortunately, Neo insists that where he draws the line is objectively defensible and he shits on anybody who dares question his divine wisdom. It's even more unfortunate as Neo's doing so appears to be a transparent case of an interpretational stance and defense of said stance driven by 21st-century political needs that he has, quite irrespective of how they might relate to what is true or can reasonably be defended. In short, Neo is a typical conservative Christian, inventing the God that he needs, as opposed to the God that might be or is.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
And FWIW, I seem to recall something about worshipping false idols, but perhaps I'm confusing my sources, and that in fact comes instead from the Lord Of The Rings.
(December 1, 2022 at 11:49 am)arewethereyet Wrote: From the time I was very young, I saw the Bible stories as being quite similar to Aesop's Fables. Stories to teach a lesson. I didn't buy into the Bible stories as reality for the same reason I didn't think grasshoppers and ants were talking to one another. I don't think I was even in school yet when I made that connection.

Never once did I think Jonah lived in the belly of a whale, never once did I think the animals marched onto a big boat two-by-two, and the list goes on.

Stories with a purpose that was not to teach historical reality. Sure, some settings were real, don't most authors draw from what is around them? Maybe not sci-fi, but you get the idea.

But did your Sunday School teachers ever tell you that Jonah and the whale (or any other story from the Bible) never happened and that it is only a metaphor?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(December 1, 2022 at 11:38 am)Deesse23 Wrote:
(December 1, 2022 at 10:28 am)Jehanne Wrote: Also explain why the text of Genesis underwent redactions, changes and edits over the centuries before settling on its final form circa 150 BCE?
As Angrboda already hinted at: If anything can be figurative in the bible, why not the existence of god? Its maybe just a metaphor for........pick and choose. Jerkoff

In my opinion, I think that most believers, even a significant minority of religious fundamentalists, covertly think their religious faith to be bullshit, but they "profess" belief for psychological, social, sexual, economic, political, familial, etc., reasons.
(December 1, 2022 at 11:54 am)Angrboda Wrote: And FWIW, I seem to recall something about worshipping false idols, but perhaps I'm confusing my sources, and that in fact comes instead from the Lord Of The Rings.

[Image: sauron-lotr.gif]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(December 1, 2022 at 11:56 am)Fake Messiah Wrote:
(December 1, 2022 at 11:49 am)arewethereyet Wrote: From the time I was very young, I saw the Bible stories as being quite similar to Aesop's Fables.  Stories to teach a lesson.  I didn't buy into the Bible stories as reality for the same reason I didn't think grasshoppers and ants were talking to one another.  I don't think I was even in school yet when I made that connection.

Never once did I think Jonah lived in the belly of a whale, never once did I think the animals marched onto a big boat two-by-two, and the list goes on.

Stories with a purpose that was not to teach historical reality.  Sure, some settings were real, don't most authors draw from what is around them?  Maybe not sci-fi, but you get the idea.

But did your Sunday School teachers ever tell you that Jonah and the whale (or any other story from the Bible) never happened and that it is only a metaphor?

No, they didn't.  Not in catechism classes or through my many years at full Catholic schools.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(December 1, 2022 at 11:59 am)brewer Wrote:
(December 1, 2022 at 11:54 am)Angrboda Wrote: And FWIW, I seem to recall something about worshipping false idols, but perhaps I'm confusing my sources, and that in fact comes instead from the Lord Of The Rings.

[Image: sauron-lotr.gif]

Cosmic vagina?
(December 1, 2022 at 12:19 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(December 1, 2022 at 11:59 am)brewer Wrote: [Image: sauron-lotr.gif]

Cosmic vagina?
Seems to be inflamed.   Should get that looked at.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(December 1, 2022 at 12:25 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(December 1, 2022 at 12:19 pm)Jehanne Wrote: Cosmic vagina?
Seems to be inflamed.   Should get that looked at.

[Image: son-condition.gif]
(December 1, 2022 at 12:02 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(December 1, 2022 at 11:56 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: But did your Sunday School teachers ever tell you that Jonah and the whale (or any other story from the Bible) never happened and that it is only a metaphor?

No, they didn't.  Not in catechism classes or through my many years at full Catholic schools.

Same-same.  I was always taught what Adam and Eve did, not that it was a parable concerning something else. When we were taught that Jesus died after being nailed to a cross, or what happened to Jezebel or that JTB ate bugs, it was explained to us that these were actual historical events with moral lessons behind them.

I can't think of a single Bible story that wasn't related to us as historic fact (apart from parables so labeled). 

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this a contradiction or am I reading it wrong? Genesis 5:28 Ferrocyanide 110 10800 April 10, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Atheist Bible Study 1: Genesis GrandizerII 614 72421 March 9, 2019 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Genesis interpretations - how many are there? Fake Messiah 129 18255 January 22, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: donlor
  Free interpretation of the Genesis 3:5 KJV theBorg 19 3841 November 13, 2016 at 2:03 am
Last Post: RiddledWithFear
  Genesis - The Prequel! Time Traveler 12 3334 May 17, 2016 at 1:16 am
Last Post: Love333
  Rewriting the bible part 1 - Genesis dyresand 4 2000 March 12, 2016 at 3:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  god is a moron - genesis dyresand 70 19137 August 7, 2015 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  The Real Bible: Genesis Chapter 1 Theoretical Skeptic 25 7205 May 6, 2015 at 7:01 am
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Answers BrianSoddingBoru4 33 3975 March 27, 2015 at 5:08 am
Last Post: Lucanus
  Footnote to Genesis 3:7 daver49 35 7092 March 24, 2015 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear