Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 15, 2024, 4:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Churches Remain Tax-Exempt?
RE: Should Churches Remain Tax-Exempt?
(December 13, 2014 at 12:12 am)Heywood Wrote:
(December 13, 2014 at 12:05 am)Parkers Tan Wrote: The Lord will provide. Leave the taxpayers alone.

The Lord does provide....the tax payers(really....only some like you) want their cut.

No. I want those churches to help support the society that provides them the religious freedom to worship without fear of oppression.

Render unto Caesar, and all that.

(December 12, 2014 at 11:59 pm)Godschild Wrote: Taxes could prohibit many from forming churches. It takes a lot of money to start and run a church.
If only that were true. Paying their fair share, however, will not stop them. We have yet to find any way to stop them.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(December 12, 2014 at 10:34 pm)Heywood Wrote:
(December 12, 2014 at 10:15 pm)Jenny A Wrote: First because individuals get to deduct contributions to churches (a thing I don't think should be allowed as it establishes religion) and therefore there is no double tax. And second because when other people pool their income for other purposes, we tax that income.

I ask for nothing more than equality.

We should get rid of tax deductions for donations to religious organizations and charities.

That wouldn't bother me particularly. Nor would eliminating tax deductions for educational organizations. The point is parity for like persons.

(December 12, 2014 at 11:50 pm)Heywood Wrote: Other non religious organizations get tax exemptions so your claim there is clearly errant. The reason churches get tax exemption is because people are entitled to the free exercise of religion. They are entitled to this freedom even when they join together and pool their resources.

Actually religious organizations get their deduction on the grounds that religious services and promotion are charitable. That's a dubious claim if you ask me. Since when is promoting your own ideas charitable? Of course churches also get to count real charity towards their charitable percentage. That's just fine so long as we are subsidizing charities.

(December 12, 2014 at 11:50 pm)Heywood Wrote: The power to tax is the power to destroy is a position the Supreme Court has taken for almost 200 years. You can study taxes and the their effects if you want but it is already well established that if you tax something you get less of it. In fact the government uses taxes to curb consumption of alcohol and tobacco. Taxing churches would lead to less churches. It would in effect be a governmental action which obstructs the free exercise of religion. When such obstruction is unnecessary....it is forbidden by the constitution.

Ah. But the Supreme Court meant the power to tax a group particularly not generally. If cigarettes were taxed at the same rate as all other goods than there would be no power to destroy in taxing cigarettes. And that is the point. Organizations that form to swap child care, to socialize, to exercise, etc. pay taxes. What is different about a church? Either all such organizations should pay taxes or they all should not.

(December 12, 2014 at 11:50 pm)Heywood Wrote: Other non profits are required to fill out forms with the IRS presumably to document the fact that they are indeed not for profit. Should churches be required to document the fact that they are congregations of people pooling together their resources to engage in the exercise of religion? Well that is a completely different topic. Generally I don't think so because it is painfully obvious when people join together and pull their resources to engage in the free exercise of religion.

Really? I grew up in a church oriented family and churches also provided: teen programs which acted as a kind of day care and social club for teens; elderly care; knitting clubs; a library for church goers; concerts; a basket ball, volley ball, and baseball club; a singles group which was almost entirely social; not to mention social meals of all sorts. Oh and Bible school. Was is religious when I tooled copper? What about macrame?

(December 12, 2014 at 11:50 pm)Heywood Wrote: What kind of information would you like to see churches document?

The percentage of money taken in actually going to real charity. That's all.

(December 12, 2014 at 11:50 pm)Heywood Wrote: Should the pastors be required to send transcripts of their sermons to the IRS?

Hardly. But if they are claimed to be educational, a general synopsis would help. Better to just admit that they are neither charitable nor educational and leave it at that.

(December 12, 2014 at 11:50 pm)Heywood Wrote: People who donate are already required to list the name of the church they donate too if they deduct those donations from their taxes. Should churches be required to send list of their benefactors? Why? Just because other groups have to? Well to be frank....that is a silly reason.

Equality is a very good reason. Either churches should be required to or other organizations excused.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Let me get this straight. I was taught that Christianity survived the Roman Empire, The Soviet Union and various other unfriendly regimes but somehow the modern church can't survive if the government asks it to fill out a few forms?
(December 13, 2014 at 2:04 am)Nope Wrote: Let me get this straight. I was taught that Christianity survived the Roman Empire, The Soviet Union and various other unfriendly regimes but somehow the modern church can't survive if the government asks it to fill out a few forms?

It would survive, we do not want what happened then to happen now, actually I would say somethings about taxing churches but, it would get misconstrued and or misused, been here to long to feed some of these people ammunition to misuse.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
So... Christians believe God is all powerful. He can do anything!

But the only thing propping up his religion is tax cuts? Methinks some people really don't think God has any power at all. Like I say, this is because people are worshipping a book.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 12, 2014 at 11:19 pm)Heywood Wrote:
(December 12, 2014 at 11:11 pm)Thor Wrote: How about showing how a church being required to pay tax impedes on the free exercise of religion? Why do they get special treatment that no one else gets?

Who is actually being denied this treatment? Everyone is entitled to get together with other people and pool their resources to engage in the free exercise of religion. If you choose not too, that is a choice you are making.

And that's still a choice you make if there is a tax levied, too, isn't it?
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
People also choose whether they want to attend services at an exempt church..or a for-profit church. Churches, also(as a body)..decide whether or not they wish to be exempt. Churches are -already- subject to tax law, and it hasn't prohibited the free exercise of religion in the least.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Last I was aware, the government has to decide whether or not you are a religion, and you need a minimum number of members, to get this exemption.

Is this still the case? If so, this is clear discrimination against minority religions.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Nah, they just determine whether or not you qualify as a charitable organization. You could exempt the Church of Cream Cheese, if you had a mind to.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why people remain in cultlike religious communities Won2blv 6 696 April 1, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Churches need to be taxed Foxaèr 12 694 July 16, 2020 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Montreal is taxing churches Foxaèr 4 723 June 23, 2018 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  I Can Just Hear All Churches Shitting Bricks On This One Minimalist 40 7485 December 7, 2017 at 5:00 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  How many churches/mosques/temples do you see everyday? Casca 23 3082 October 25, 2016 at 11:38 am
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  Do Catholics have most boring churches/ liturgy? Fake Messiah 55 9191 October 22, 2016 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Bill Maher Says It. Tax the Fucking Churches! Minimalist 29 5659 April 20, 2016 at 4:36 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Tax Exempt John Oliver polar bear 16 4553 August 18, 2015 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Anyone very educated in the catholic churches history? LoveLogicalLife 21 4466 August 11, 2014 at 11:29 am
Last Post: ManMachine
  Why don't terrorists just suicide bomb churches in the US? Dosolid 37 8830 June 5, 2014 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: vodkafan