Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 1:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this a contradiction or am I reading it wrong? Genesis 5:28
RE: Is this a contradiction or am I reading it wrong? Genesis 5:28
Still waiting for someone to quote an actual spell. No. Nothing. Right, because it is not a grimoire. Sure, the bible recounts supernatural events that are in modern colloquial writing "magical" but the texts themselves not magic books. What? Am I being unreasonably literal-minded?
<insert profound quote here>
(March 22, 2023 at 10:41 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Still waiting for someone to quote an actual spell. No. Nothing. Right, because it is not a grimoire. Sure, the bible recounts supernatural events that are in modern colloquial writing "magical" but the texts themselves not magic books. What? Am I being unreasonably literal-minded?

Yes.

Still working to convince yourself.

You don't need us for that.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(March 14, 2023 at 11:59 am)Ferrocyanide Wrote: Hello dudes.
It has been a year since I visited the forums.

Genesis 5:28 KING JAMES VERSION
And Lamech lived an 802 years, and begat a son: {5:29} And he called his name Noah, saying, This [same] shall comfort us concerning our work and toil of our hands, because of the ground which the LORD hath cursed. {5:30} And Lamech lived after he begat Noah 585 years, and begat sons and daughters: {5:31} And all the days of Lamech were 777 years: and he died. {5:32} And Noah was 500 years old: and Noah begat Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

^^^^^Hmmmm Lamech lived 802 y and later on it says he lived 777 y and he died.

"You're taking it out of context!"

"It's a metaphor!"

"Jesus made a new pact that makes that part of the bible irrelevant!"

"You're just going through a rebellious phase because you want to sin!"

"I'll pray for you!"
Dying to live, living to die.
(March 22, 2023 at 10:41 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Still waiting for someone to quote an actual spell. No. Nothing. Right, because it is not a grimoire. Sure, the bible recounts supernatural events that are in modern colloquial writing "magical" but the texts themselves not magic books. What? Am I being unreasonably literal-minded?
Like the spell for bortin babies?

That the book itself, the whole thing, is quite literally magical is a very common belief even outside of all the magic the narrative contains.  I think that the more interesting wrinkle for contemporary christianity is a negative perception of it's magical contents and magical nature by christians, such as yourself. At some point, some number of people in all manner of abrahamic faiths stopped believing in the world or the words dreamt up by the constructors and authors of said stories, and now, see a world in those magic books far more mundane and far more secular than anything the originating peoples could have contextualized. Still, apparently, believing that they either have or have tried, really hard, to keep their own biases out. You're motivated in this defense of magic book by your own bias when, ofc, the book being magical isn't actually a bad thing for a magical god inhabiting a magical world, as it's magical sovereign.

I guess the people who still believe in such things are rubes, but they're faithful rubes nonetheless. Grimoires are interesting, too...and, actually, a fair number of them are based in abrahamic myths and hierarchy. So whenever we do finally exhaust the list of magic contained in magic book - that you keep thinking I won't have endless examples of, we'll have another trove of jewish and christian magic to discuss as well?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Prayers are also magical spells.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"

A book the reading of which is promised to offer keys to supernatural benefits is not a magic book but what?   A cook book?
(March 23, 2023 at 12:12 am)Anomalocaris Wrote:

A book the reading of which is promised to offer keys to supernatural benefits is not a magic book but what?   A cook book?

[Image: twilight_zone_to_serve_man.jpeg]
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

(March 22, 2023 at 11:49 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: Prayers are also magical spells.

Bingo lolly. Even prayers of thanksgiving (as opposed to intercessory prayers) are appeals to the supernatural.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 22, 2023 at 12:53 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote:
(March 21, 2023 at 10:46 pm)Ferrocyanide Wrote: I'm still curious as to what your position is.

Very simply I try to be a good reader and not insert my own modern cultural biases and expectations into ancient literature.

That’s fine, I would imagine that everyone would say that they are trying to be a good reader and that they try not be biased.

What I wanted to know is, do you believe that Jesus is a savior for mankind?
Are you a christian? What is your religion? Do you believe in any god?
(March 23, 2023 at 9:56 am)Ferrocyanide Wrote:
(March 22, 2023 at 12:53 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Very simply I try to be a good reader and not insert my own modern cultural biases and expectations into ancient literature.

That’s fine, I would imagine that everyone would say that they are trying to be a good reader and that they try not be biased.

What I wanted to know is, do you believe that Jesus is a savior for mankind?
Are you a christian? What is your religion? Do you believe in any god?

IMHO far too many people do not really want to be good readers. Those include believers who seek confirmation for the doctrines of their denomination and disbelievers whose only real interest is in debunking it as if it were a scientific paper or academic history. Yes, I am a Christian but I do not see how that matters. You do not have to be a believing Bhuddist to treat the Lotus Sutra with respect.
<insert profound quote here>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  There are no answers in Genesis LinuxGal 248 22157 March 24, 2023 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Contradiction or Forgetfulness Ferrocyanide 11 1485 February 16, 2022 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  They're going to be chanting to the wrong God. brewer 32 2890 March 17, 2021 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheist Bible Study 1: Genesis GrandizerII 614 72006 March 9, 2019 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Genesis interpretations - how many are there? Fake Messiah 129 18154 January 22, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: donlor
  Just looking for some fun reactions to today's Bible reading drfuzzy 13 2362 January 29, 2018 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Dr. Craig contradiction. Jehanne 121 26316 November 13, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Bible reading Foxaèr 63 8102 October 19, 2017 at 7:55 am
Last Post: John V
  Free interpretation of the Genesis 3:5 KJV theBorg 19 3837 November 13, 2016 at 2:03 am
Last Post: RiddledWithFear
  Genesis - The Prequel! Time Traveler 12 3330 May 17, 2016 at 1:16 am
Last Post: Love333