Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 12:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Hello everyone
[split] Hello everyone
(December 24, 2014 at 12:47 am)Jenny A Wrote: No it doesn't make much sense to me. Atheists are people who don't believe in god. I am one. I'm sure there are people who believe in god but don't go to church too, but I don't much care.

Oh sorry, I thought you must be theist before you can be an atheist.

So is that a protestant definition maybe? At least, as I see it Catholics are not definition people but just do what Catholics do and will believe anything you tell them for as long as you are talking to them.

But then, I never was a good Catholic but the sinner like the rest of them, I suppose.

(December 24, 2014 at 1:03 pm)LastPoet Wrote:
(December 24, 2014 at 12:31 am)Lambert Wrote: My name is Lambert and this is my first post here. I used to frequent the Internet Infidels and kind of learned what atheist are all about.

So I am a Catholic and I always thought that they never become an atheist but just quit going to church. Does that make sense to anyone here?

Hi, my name is Valério, I am an ex catholic shithead. By all means consider that I was never a true catholic ™. My devout sister claims that i am since my baptism at 6 months. Surely i was drunk at the time since i don't remember that. Big Grin

Welcome Enjoy the forums.

Oh? And what is a true Catholic? As I see it all you need is Baptism with 'catholic water' to be a Catholic so you can bleed it later in life.

(December 24, 2014 at 1:08 pm)Tonus Wrote: Lambert?
[Image: JM_Lambert.jpg]
(December 24, 2014 at 12:31 am)Lambert Wrote: So I am a Catholic and I always thought that they never become an atheist but just quit going to church. Does that make sense to anyone here?
I became an atheist and I quit going to church.

And since when where you a theist? I don't think there is one Catholic alive who claims to be a theist, is there?

Theism is not an -ism but may be descriptive of an -ism. So please don't let ignorance lead you astray, . . . as protestant number 20.001 maybe?

(December 24, 2014 at 1:14 pm)Minimalist Wrote: No. No sense at all.

I, too, was raised catholic but survived to reject it and recover.

Learn a bit while you here. Perhaps you too can free yourself from their barbarism.

Barbarism? Oh sorry, I always thought that inside the fold sheep are free to do as they please and really cannot get lost.

And let me remind you that it led to high renaissance in our culture and still is the leading edge of culture today. Notice also that Russia just ended theirs and is now back in its silver age again while the rest of the West is still going down, and downhill faster than ever before.

(December 24, 2014 at 5:15 am)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(December 24, 2014 at 12:31 am)Lambert Wrote: My name is Lambert and this is my first post here. I used to frequent the Internet Infidels and kind of learned what atheist are all about.

So I am a Catholic and I always thought that they never become an atheist but just quit going to church. Does that make sense to anyone here?

I have heard the comedian Dara O'Briain say the same thing. He is an atheist but somehow still a catholic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdolFXcNAH4

Yes it is typical for a protestant to add something for good measure and in doing so will always close the door as self righteous. This long ending here is to praise Jesus and that is just the wrong thing to do.

They just haven't got a clue, lol, and then they make Sunday the first day of the week to make sure God is put first in their life and will never come full circle in the seventh day as designed in Gen.1, with the Seventh day arriving in Gen.2 when evening did not follow and therefore is Sunday for sure.

Please notice the sequence "morning came and evening followed" for six days but not on the seventh day.

(December 24, 2014 at 12:48 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Welcome.

I was hoping for a Mormon, but you'll do nicely.

Hey ! How about them surplices and mitres ??

Oh ok, I like the red shoes better, don't you?
RE: Hello everyone
(December 24, 2014 at 12:51 am)Parkers Tan Wrote:

"Never" is a pretty strong term. I'm sure plenty of Catholics have abandoned the faith; I know three personally.

Anyway, welcome. I hung around IIDB for a little bit, until the meltdown. I bailed out to Daylight Atheism, then RantsnRaves until poor staffing shitted it up.

Good point and that is especially true in America where Catholics are often called Christians when 'votes' are counted but never as 'born again' the evangelist would say.

Clearly, it may be true that 20.000 plus protestants denominations are divided among themselves but seem to always agree that they are not Catholic.

Let me add here that I from Catholic country where everything was Catholic and I never seen a Christian . . . and even wondered they looked like as different then us.
I thought all Catholics are christians. Isn't it just a denomination?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 24, 2014 at 5:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: Welcome aboard, Lambert.
What you describe sounds like what we call non-practicing Catholic.
That's the label that the priest gave me, when I married my wife...for bureaucratic purposes, seeing as I was baptized when I was 6 months old.

Fair enough, just so you know, where I come from Baptism was done inside the first week for sure.

It is also true that where I was born everybody was Catholic that so was a tradition for the sake of tradition, I suppose, with never a wolf in sheep's clothing suggesting that there is a different point of view.

(December 24, 2014 at 3:40 am)Losty Wrote: Some people stop going to church, some people stop believing in god. These may or may not be the same people. Anywho, welcome to the forum. I've spent plenty of time in the Catholic Church...can't really say I enjoyed it but that's cool if you do.

Not that we enjoyed it that much but we had to go. Mother said so, and we just did. Our churches we big, and I am not sure if anyone would ever know if we did not go.

(December 26, 2014 at 3:43 am)robvalue Wrote: I thought all Catholics are christians. Isn't it just a denomination?

Nono, no Catholic is Christian. Christian is a protestant idea.
Catholicism is the NT equivalent of OT Judaism and neither are Christian. From here it can be said that once a Jew becomes a Christian he is no longer Jew and in the same way a Catholic will no longer be a Catholic but will be Christian instead. This so makes Christian the end of religion for both Jew and Catholic in Christendom.

To note here that neither Jews nor Catholics are saved-sinners but all so called Christians are, and will remain torn in this paradox until they die and will die nonetheless.

(December 24, 2014 at 1:19 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Lambert no mint sauce. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Anyway, welcome aboard the ship of the damned - damned sexy, obviously. Plus me.

Not sure what the mint sauce is about but it takes courage to walk away from religion, that in Catholicism is like the blood that crawls in our veins as a tradition that was prior to us.

After all, if the thousand year reign is already in us religion will be the mainstay of contraction we see. Of course, we can walk away from it
but if the battle-cry of life is that no self contraction shall remain it likely will not go away on its own.
(December 26, 2014 at 2:30 am)Lambert Wrote: And since when where you a theist? I don't think there is one Catholic alive who claims to be a theist, is there?
Oh, I didn't understand your initial post. I wasn't ever Catholic, I was a Jehovah's Witness. I didn't realize that Catholics had so many ways to distinguish themselves from other Christians.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
I thought that the only thing christian means anymore is worshipping the bible. If not, what the hell is it?

Catholics aren't theists? What's going on! I'm pretty sure they are. I can't keep up with these crazy labels.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(December 26, 2014 at 3:47 am)Lambert Wrote:
(December 24, 2014 at 5:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: Welcome aboard, Lambert.
What you describe sounds like what we call non-practicing Catholic.
That's the label that the priest gave me, when I married my wife...for bureaucratic purposes, seeing as I was baptized when I was 6 months old.

Fair enough, just so you know, where I come from Baptism was done inside the first week for sure.

It is also true that where I was born everybody was Catholic that so was a tradition for the sake of tradition, I suppose, with never a wolf in sheep's clothing suggesting that there is a different point of view.
Thinking
Where in Europe are you from?

(December 26, 2014 at 3:47 am)Lambert Wrote:
(December 26, 2014 at 3:43 am)robvalue Wrote: I thought all Catholics are christians. Isn't it just a denomination?

Nono, no Catholic is Christian. Christian is a protestant idea.
Catholicism is the NT equivalent of OT Judaism and neither are Christian. From here it can be said that once a Jew becomes a Christian he is no longer Jew and in the same way a Catholic will no longer be a Catholic but will be Christian instead. This so makes Christian the end of religion for both Jew and Catholic in Christendom.

To note here that neither Jews nor Catholics are saved-sinners but all so called Christians are, and will remain torn in this paradox until they die and will die nonetheless.

errr... wrong!
Take orthodox christians as an example of pre-protestant christians.
Also, catholics ARE christians.
Quote:A Christian (About this sound pronunciation (help·info)) is a person who adheres to Christianity, an Abrahamic, monotheistic religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth. "Christian" derives from the Koine Greek word Christós (Χριστός), a translation of the Biblical Hebrew term mashiach.[1]
(December 26, 2014 at 8:38 am)robvalue Wrote: I thought that the only thing christian means anymore is worshipping the bible.

I consider them the same if they worship the same character. Some of them have different books, but if the names are the same then it's just another interpretation of the same story. A lot of the southern NA/AA cults are really just another denomination of Christianity since many of them don't allow you to pick just any random higher power not named Jesus.
I see, thanks Smile

Lol fuck me it's getting so ridiculous. It's starting to sound like the restrictions on re rolling a character in d&d or something.

Index of my best videos
(December 26, 2014 at 8:30 am)Tonus Wrote:
(December 26, 2014 at 2:30 am)Lambert Wrote: And since when where you a theist? I don't think there is one Catholic alive who claims to be a theist, is there?
Oh, I didn't understand your initial post. I wasn't ever Catholic, I was a Jehovah's Witness. I didn't realize that Catholics had so many ways to distinguish themselves from other Christians.

Oh sorry, but Catholics are Catholics and not Christian. That is just protestant theology who want to be king in the hereafter also, and have been declaring that ever since.

Ever read Macbeth? He will show you how that is done, but then, so did Moses and Billy Graham along with another 20,000 like him much in the same way.

The point here is that you just cannot part the water to get into the promised land but walk on it so you will know what the promised land is like when you get there. Does that make sense to you?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] Are Questions About God Important? Confused-by-christianity 621 34720 December 9, 2023 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [split] Big Announcement and Invitation LastPoet 77 11141 May 24, 2015 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Randy Carson
  [split] Better reasons to quit Christianity radorth 10 5122 April 7, 2013 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  [split] Debunking Christianity? And Boris Spacek raised the dead... Boris Spacek 18 9740 April 6, 2012 at 5:22 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused