Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 4:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Churches Remain Tax-Exempt?
RE: Should Churches Remain Tax-Exempt?
Really? So the religions are being classified as a charity?

If I approach them with my new religion, could I get tax exemption for it? Say it's just me in it so far.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
No, but you can approach them with a new charitable organization (you may need more than just yourself for the incorporation though-depending on the state/fed gauntlet you're running - I hear AZ is nice) and then call it "The Church of Robs Big Sack of Goodies for Poor Motherfuckers".

I established an exempt organization in FL and am in the process of doing so in KY. In both cases there is oversight, a sponsor or committee (this is where religious affiliation can streamline the process). But other than that it's all about where the money comes from and then, whence it goes. You can, of course, make allowances for the staff..............which is where people usually get in trouble (pastor got a bentley, etc).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Hmm, I see, thanks. Well I can work with that name.

How the fuck christianty qualifies as a charity is beyond me. Obviously it doesn't, or they would fill in the forms. God is scared of people seeing his lackey's finances?
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
It's beyond many..but the sweetheart treatment that churches -do get- is in regards to how difficult it is to investigate and prosecute them when there is reason to suspect fraud or evasion. There are plenty of churches out there that follow the rules, that stick with the agreement they made (it's likely that nothing you imagine about a non-profit is strictly accurate.....they can turn a profit -w/ caveats-, they can pay their staff generously, they can own property...etc....). There are some that don't. It's the ones that don't which can be taxed and -need- to be taxed.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'm gonna go investigate them with my chainsaw if things don't change soon.

I carry it at all times, it's really handy for turning the tide of an argument if I feel I'm losing.

Words can't express the contempt I feel for Christianity. The devil is shoving his ass in everyone's faces, not even in disguise, and everyone is kissing it and shoving coins up it.

Index of my best videos
(December 12, 2014 at 4:20 pm)Heywood Wrote: Impede is to obstruct and the intent of the First Amendment was to forbid the state from passing laws which unnecessarily obstruct speech, press, or religion.
How would taxing churches obstruct religion? They tax the media companies that form the press-- does that obstruct the press?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Thing is, christians view persecution/obstruction to be the removal of the special treatment they have become accustomed to.

Index of my best videos
(December 13, 2014 at 8:39 am)robvalue Wrote: Thing is, christians view persecution/obstruction to be the removal of the special treatment they have become accustomed to.

yeah they want to be top dog but all religions are equal. except for christianity they always get special treatment.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(December 13, 2014 at 8:26 am)Tonus Wrote:
(December 12, 2014 at 4:20 pm)Heywood Wrote: Impede is to obstruct and the intent of the First Amendment was to forbid the state from passing laws which unnecessarily obstruct speech, press, or religion.
How would taxing churches obstruct religion? They tax the media companies that form the press-- does that obstruct the press?

Indeed yes.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(December 13, 2014 at 10:40 am)Jenny A Wrote:
(December 13, 2014 at 8:26 am)Tonus Wrote: How would taxing churches obstruct religion? They tax the media companies that form the press-- does that obstruct the press?

Indeed yes.

Funny how the government just contradicted its own self. i guess they could tax churches with a good enough reason.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why people remain in cultlike religious communities Won2blv 6 698 April 1, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Churches need to be taxed Foxaèr 12 710 July 16, 2020 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Montreal is taxing churches Foxaèr 4 732 June 23, 2018 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  I Can Just Hear All Churches Shitting Bricks On This One Minimalist 40 7526 December 7, 2017 at 5:00 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  How many churches/mosques/temples do you see everyday? Casca 23 3096 October 25, 2016 at 11:38 am
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  Do Catholics have most boring churches/ liturgy? Fake Messiah 55 9234 October 22, 2016 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Bill Maher Says It. Tax the Fucking Churches! Minimalist 29 5693 April 20, 2016 at 4:36 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Tax Exempt John Oliver polar bear 16 4581 August 18, 2015 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Anyone very educated in the catholic churches history? LoveLogicalLife 21 4523 August 11, 2014 at 11:29 am
Last Post: ManMachine
  Why don't terrorists just suicide bomb churches in the US? Dosolid 37 8846 June 5, 2014 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: vodkafan