Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian argument
Christian argument
If you guys remember from my last post, i'm currently debating with a Catholic. He sent me a very long quote from the bible which i will paste down below. Can anyone make sense of the point he is trying to make? I told him I would only answer him if he actually answered any of my questions (which he has completely ignored by the way) Such questions as: What made you believe in God? Why don't you believe in any other of the religions? Why don't you believe in unicorns and fairies ect? But that isn't the point so don't bother answering these questions. Just focus on the message he sent me:

evolution is a farce & you would be of the many to believe nothing came from nothing.

here's a challenge.

the bible says that only a person filled with the Holy Sprit could discern the bible. read below & lets see if an intellect of the evolutionary persuasion could understand.
i guarantee you cant understand it.
& i mean truly understand it.
God doesn't lie, read below & see if you can prove Him wrong that only a person filled with the Holy Sprit could discern the bible.

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things. Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen. For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error. And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done.
They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. Though they know God's righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
RE: Christian argument
(May 31, 2013 at 8:44 am)Rationalman Wrote: They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. Though they know God's righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.

What about the baby BBQ's? Panic
(May 31, 2013 at 8:44 am)Rationalman Wrote: I told him I would only answer him if he actually answered any of my questions (which he has completely ignored by the way) Such questions as: What made you believe in God? Why don't you believe in any other of the religions? Why don't you believe in unicorns and fairies ect?
And you should refuse to advance the conversation until he does reply to those perfectly good questions... at least, make him think about them... Remind him what are the questions over and over, until he does reply.

No reply from him, no reply from you.
Quid pro quo.

(May 31, 2013 at 8:44 am)Rationalman Wrote: evolution is a farce & you would be of the many to believe nothing came from nothing.

here's a challenge.

the bible says
And that's enough. Why should we accept what is written in that book?
What evidence is there that it is an accurate representation of reality?
Given the absence of evidence, why not pick another holy book and accept that one? What's wrong with the others?

The rest is just mumblings of a pre-conditioned mind...
Thanks guys! He did actually answer some of those questions but they weren't real answers e.g.
When I asked why he believes in God, he answered: 'because God chose me'

When i asked why he doesn't believe in any other religions, he answered: 'The one true god is the god of the bible, all others are false'

And when I asked him why he doesn't believe in faires and unicorns, he answered: 'For the same reason you don't....they're ridiculous'

Needless to say, I told him that these were not real answers and I asked him to elaborate. Unsurprisingly he ignored this

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(May 31, 2013 at 8:44 am)Rationalman Wrote: ......They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. Though they know God's righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.

What's your point...to discredit God, or your shadowy Christian buddy?

For devout Christians its about the Gospel. "This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in blood ..."

We are not soley under "Law", but "Grace". Because the Lord knew we wouldn't be able to keep His laws. So, thanks to Jesus... now you can be saved even if you're a shithead! And, by just believing in Him and His word!

Even with your last breath you could be saved! And much to the chargrin of Jesus' "faithful-for-life" followers! But...who are we to tell God who to let in His vineyard, and when?
Quis ut Deus?
Stop preaching on here, that isn't the reason i posted this. I posted this because i didn't understand the point he was making. And i still fully don't. What you said did not help in the slightest

(May 31, 2013 at 10:18 am)ronedee Wrote: What's your point...to discredit God, or your shadowy Christian buddy?

You are assuming there is a god to discredit.
There is not.

Quote:We are not soley under "Law", but "Grace". Because the Lord knew we wouldn't be able to keep His laws. So, thanks to Jesus... now you can be saved even if you're a shithead! And, by just believing in Him and His word!

Even with your last breath you could be saved! And much to the chargrin of Jesus' "faithful-for-life" followers! But...who are we to tell God who to let in His vineyard, and when?

It's not even good fictiont!

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(May 31, 2013 at 8:44 am)Rationalman Wrote: If you guys remember from my last post, i'm currently debating with a Catholic. He sent me a very long quote from the bible which i will paste down below. Can anyone make sense of the point he is trying to make? I told him I would only answer him if he actually answered any of my questions (which he has completely ignored by the way) Such questions as:
I like questions, let me take a stab at them!

Quote:What made you believe in God?
I followed what the bible said do for proof of God, and God showed up.

Quote: Why don't you believe in any other of the religions?
Because I've looked into other religions and found them empty.

Quote: Why don't you believe in unicorns and fairies ect?
No proof.

Quote: But that isn't the point so don't bother answering these questions. Just focus on the message he sent me:

evolution is a farce & you would be of the many to believe nothing came from nothing.
I dont agree with his statement here as I believe nothing in the creation account dismisses evolution and nothing in the evolution account outright dismisses creation.

Quote:here's a challenge.

the bible says that only a person filled with the Holy Sprit could discern the bible. read below & lets see if an intellect of the evolutionary persuasion could understand.
i guarantee you cant understand it. & i mean truly understand it.
Big Grin

Quote:God doesn't lie, read below & see if you can prove Him wrong that only a person filled with the Holy Sprit could discern the bible.
One can understand it if someone filled with the spirit explains it. That is the reason God appoints teachers, and the reason for easier to read versions of the bible.

Here is your passage in Romans 1:18 God shows his anger from heaven against all the evil and wrong things that people do. Their evil lives hide the truth they have. 19 This makes God angry because they have been shown what he is like. Yes, God has made it clear to them.

20 There are things about God that people cannot see—his eternal power and all that makes him God. But since the beginning of the world, those things have been easy for people to understand. They are made clear in what God has made. So people have no excuse for the evil they do.

21 People knew God, but they did not honor him as God, and they did not thank him. Their ideas were all useless. There was not one good thought left in their foolish minds. 22 They said they were wise, but they became fools. 23 Instead of honoring the divine greatness of God, who lives forever, they traded it for the worship of idols—things made to look like humans, who get sick and die, or like birds, animals, and snakes.

24 People wanted only to do evil. So God left them and let them go their sinful way. And so they became completely immoral and used their bodies in shameful ways with each other. 25 They traded the truth of God for a lie. They bowed down and worshiped the things God made instead of worshiping the God who made those things. He is the one who should be praised forever. Amen.

26 Because people did those things, God left them and let them do the shameful things they wanted to do. Women stopped having natural sex with men and started having sex with other women. 27 In the same way, men stopped having natural sex with women and began wanting each other all the time. Men did shameful things with other men, and in their bodies they received the punishment for those wrongs.

28 People did not think it was important to have a true knowledge of God. So God left them and allowed them to have their own worthless thinking. And so they do what they should not do. 29 They are filled with every kind of sin, evil, greed, and hatred. They are full of jealousy, murder, fighting, lying, and thinking the worst things about each other. They gossip 30 and say evil things about each other. They hate God. They are rude, proud, and brag about themselves. They invent ways of doing evil. They don’t obey their parents, 31 they are foolish, they don’t keep their promises, and they show no kindness or mercy to others. 32 They know God’s law says that anyone who lives like that should die. But they not only continue to do these things themselves, but they also encourage others who do them.

If you need this even further explained I can break it down further.
(May 31, 2013 at 10:18 am)Rationalman Wrote: Thanks guys! He did actually answer some of those questions but they weren't real answers e.g.
When I asked why he believes in God, he answered: 'because God chose me'
I think you know what comes after...
How do you know you were chosen?

(May 31, 2013 at 10:18 am)Rationalman Wrote: When i asked why he doesn't believe in any other religions, he answered: 'The one true god is the god of the bible, all others are false'
"The believers in the other gods think the same about theirs and yours is the false one... How do you reconcile this information?"
Could it be that both parties are... equally wrong?!

(May 31, 2013 at 10:18 am)Rationalman Wrote: And when I asked him why he doesn't believe in faires and unicorns, he answered: 'For the same reason you don't....they're ridiculous'
Could it be that god can be inserted in the list?
(May 31, 2013 at 10:18 am)Rationalman Wrote: Needless to say, I told him that these were not real answers and I asked him to elaborate. Unsurprisingly he ignored this

Well then, keep at it... but yeah.. you can move the conversation forward... actually... Big Grin Invite him over! Wink
There's a link somewhere in your Control Panel that allows you to invite people.
Quote:I followed what the bible said do for proof of God, and God showed up.
How exactly did god show up?
Quote:Because I've looked into other religions and found them empty.
What do you mean by empty? Can you give an example of how your religion is more valid and true than the others?
Quote: Why don't you believe in unicorns and fairies ect?
Quote:No proof.
There is plenty of proof: eye witness accounts, TV shows, there are even books that mention them and books that are about them specifically. Do you now understand why we don't take your bible as proof

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89341 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7437 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  When I was a Christian they used this argument to explain why miracles don't happen like they used to: Ziploc Surprise 9 4687 December 18, 2012 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6343 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej